So last night I made baked chicken with a little salt and a lot of pepper on it. I also made some baked asparagus with a little olive oil & parmasean sprinkled on. When it was all ready I put a little in each of the kids bowls, not hopeful at all that much would be eaten. My kids, like so many before them are picky eaters.
Mia Moo picked up a piece of chicken and put it in her mouth but then removed it with a funny look as she tasted the pepper... ok...the kid who is less picky doesn't like the spice...noted. Next time I will use less pepper. She did however eat a little bit of the asparagus before deciding she was having nothing to do with dinner.
When I was handing Mr. Z his bowl and said I had some chicken for him he just looked at me and said "I no like chicken mama.". Ok fine. I put the bowl down as I totally expected this response and just left it for a little bit.
About 15-20 minutes later I picked a piece of the chicken out of the bowl and with an air of excitement in my voice said to him... "Hey Zachary...would you like a nugget?". He instantly turned and said "Ya!", plucked the chicken piece out of my hand and began to nibble on it. He briefly pulled it away to look at it and see what it was that tasted like that, and then resumed eating it.
About two minutes later I asked him again "would you like another nugget?" "Yes! It tastes yummy" he declares.
VICTORY!
A small victory, but still a victory.
Note to self, try renaming food whenever it gets poo-pooed by the boy.
yes! thank you for reminding me of this tremendous dinner time tactic! We used to use this to get her to eat veggies(one I remember was cucumbers became crocodile pie... don't ask).
ReplyDeleteyay for nuggets being a universal mmm I think I like it word!
Well done! i am taking notes myself. We do like nuggets around here, but chicken, not so much. I will try tonight!
ReplyDeleteI always said I hated fish to my mom however we used to eat "fillet" once a week! LOL
ReplyDelete